Rory Mcilroy Breaks Winless Drought With Win at the Players


Image result for rory mcilroyRory Mcilroy entered the final round of the Players Championship last Sunday trailing by one shot behind fellow Europeans Jon Rahm and Tommy Fleetwood. Rory had a problem with final rounds, not being able to convert any good play the first three rounds into a win. He had preached patience the entire year after he let a tournament get away from him, but he wasn’t going to let one of the biggest golf tournaments get away from him. Rory overcame a slow start in the beginning and grinded his way through the back nine at TPC Sawgrass, conquered the famous island green at the seventeenth hole, and left the tournament with a one-shot victory. Even though all the tough losses may have impacted other players in a negative way, it actually motivated Rory. "I thought anything in the 60s today was probably going to get it done for me, and I didn't quite get to that number, but I needed to show a lot of character out there, too, over through four, double-bogeyed four, hit it in the water, and I think all the experiences I've had over the last few weeks in terms of trying to win and not getting over the line definitely helped me today”. He went on to say “Maybe if I hadn't had those experiences, I wouldn't be sitting up here with this trophy, so I'm thankful and grateful for those experiences I've had this year. Yes, it would have been nice to maybe get another win, but of made it all worth it, the fact is this win has come at this golf tournament, a tournament where Sawgrass and I didn't have the greatest relationship starting off, and I'm very thankful to the PGA Tour for putting it back to March.” Rory will not only go into the Masters next month as the favorite, but as the player in the best form with a chance to join only five players in the history of golf to win all four major championships. "So I can take a lot from this. It's taken me a few weeks to get to this point but I'm playing some of the best golf of my life right now and I just need to keep going with it and keep doing the same things."

Comments

Popular Posts