The Transition to College


When I was in high school, I really didn’t know much about what college was going to be like. I didn’t know how dorm life worked, how I could possibly eat whenever I wanted to eat or not have class from 8-2 five days a week. Even though I didn’t know what to expect, I was still excited to start the next part of my life and go to college. In high school, I felt very comfortable with my surroundings, and I enjoyed that part of it. When I got here to Ohio Northern, it was really hard for me to adapt to my surroundings, which I know is normal. I had many bad moments that many freshmen have when they first go to college  Even though it was difficult at first, and still is at times, I’m starting to catch on to things.

I grew up in Zanesville, Ohio, which is a town many don’t know about. It’s a pretty small town, but Ada blows that way out of the water. Zanesville has more than just three or four traffic lights, it has more than three fast food restaurants, and it has a population almost three times the population of Ada. The biggest difference though between these two towns is that Zanesville isn’t in the middle of a cornfield, and that’s a pretty big difference. I love my hometown of Zanesville a whole lot, but I felt like I needed to branch out and expand my surroundings and leave my comfort zone. This is why I wanted to go to college somewhere outside my home town. I felt like I needed to learn how to live on my own and live independently. The other big difference is for some odd reason, the temperature is about 20 degrees colder on a daily basis, which can make many people, including myself, very miserable at times. Also, the fact this is the most snow I have ever seen in the 19 years I have been alive is pretty impressive. The frightening part about the whole thing is that it’s only the beginning of February, so I better enjoy this weather while there’s no snow falling.

Comments

  1. Take every advantage you can to boost yourself and the amount of people around you. Enjoy every minute of it too because these next four years will fly by for you. Great read.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts